Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pine Ridge Reservation

For some time now I have wanted to write something to bring attention to this Native American Reservation. Words always fail me. I am not sure where to begin to describe what to me seems like a nearly modern day holocaust right here in America. I always thought and stupidly so that the Native Americans that are living on reservations were being well cared for by our government. I could not have been more wrong!! I knew we have poverty in our country but never ever would I dream it to be on such a scale as what these beautiful Native Americans are experiencing on the Pine Ridge Reservation. The teenage suicide rate on the res is the highest in our entire country! The average life expectancy is only to the age of 50! But you do not have to take my words alone for this information. Please follow the links and read for yourself the facts.

Native Village

Wikipedia

If you don't mind taking a few more moments of time, watch the videos on you tube and see first hand and hear the Oglala speak. Please be sure to pause my music choice player on my blog site before you click on the following links.

video 1
video 2
video 3
video 4

After learning the facts, I became compelled to do what I can to help. I am asking you that if you feel as compelled as I was to please get in touch with the "Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation and learn what you too can do to help.

Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation


Thank you,
Ann

No comments: